Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What a day...

I was expecting today to be packed with interesting things, no doubt, but that that it was going to be this crazy was even beyond my wildest dreams...

Lets start at the beginning... My first meeting with Sylvie was at 11am this morning... Up until this point I had only been able to see the International Headquarters from the outside.... It's so enormous that I found it hard to imagine what it was like on the inside... that was about to change though... Sylvie picked me up at reception and let me know that today was mainly going to be an administration day... and that's exactly how it started... lots of documents had to be filled out regarding me working here in Canada for the next two weeks, but Sylvie did a great job of guiding me through it all like a pro... I really felt taken care of and that's good because I am rubbish at this kind of thing LOL! Once we were done with that it was time for my medical examination which was in the physio area... here physiotherapist Debbie ran me through a long list of physical check ups and it felt like she checked every joint/nerve in my entire body... then there were hand/eye co-ordination tests... balance checks ( I did way worse at this than I thought I would... embarrassing!) ... all in all it took about 30 minutes in total and I guess I did ok... Once we were done I was delivered to the house stage manger Rene who showed me were I will be practicing and how to read the (insane) schedules... man, I wouldn't want to be the person who has to deal with the logistics of that! As soon as we were done with that I was taken to the other main building where all the workshops are and delivered to the tailor... he told me they just recently got a new toy - a 3D body scanner - into which I was to go and be scanned... what a trip... and then they took every measurement possible - from head to toe - all in all roughly 120 (yes, one hundred and twenty)! This also took about 30 minutes to do.... After this I was supposed to have a meeting with Human Resources but it got canceled so I managed to slip in a coffee with Andre from casting... he was instrumental in getting me into Kooza... great to finally meet him in person... before I knew it, it was time to go to my next meeting with account Shelley Ann who guided me (slowly but surely) through the whole taxation process that awaits me in Canada and in the States... (I will spare us all from this jungle of tax laws)... great to know there is someone like her who understands the whole system and is actually willing to explain it to someone like me... I already feel sorry for her LOL! And from there I went straight to my final test for the day... a brain imPACT test... This is done at a computer terminal and its purpose is to check my memory, hand eye co-ordination and various other things... they then save this data and if I was to ever fall and injure my head/brain they would run this test to see if I am slower and hence have incurred brain damage... at least I think that's how it works... it was tough... 30 minutes of extreme concentration exercises after the day I had was no "walk in the park"... anyway after that I was done with all of the official meetings and tests and was allowed to do what I came here to do: PLAY DRUMS... Unfortunately Cirques main drum kit was stolen so they had to put together a makeshift drum kit for me... cymbals should be there tomorrow... at first it threw me off a little but then I really got into the weird setup and had a blast practicing in this huge room they are using for dance practice in the day for the new Elvis show... and now I am back in my room typing up this blog as I am sure tomorrow will be full of more cool impressions... time to get some sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home