Friday, August 18, 2006

Pukkelpop - Belgium

Off on the road again... at least for a few days....

My friends Damian, Mirko and Chri picked me up early this morning and we drove to Pukkelpop together...

It isn't too far from where I live - which makes a BIG change! So we got there within about 90 minutes...

Once we arrived I was amazed at how well this festival is organized... there wasn't just a little backstage area where the bands could hang out... there was what was called the 'Artists Village'... and it was huge...

To top it all of, every band had one of a handful of hostesses to look after them... if I remember correctly our hostess was called Betty... and they were all very helpful...

Our show was in the Club tent and we were first on... I thought there might be 20 - 30 people there as the gates had only opened about an hour or so before we were on and people were still arriving...

... but to all our great surprise the tent was completely full by the time we got on stage... not exactly sure how many people were in there but I guess it was between 800 -1000 which was amazing... and the crowd were absolutely fantastic.... and there were quite a few Psapp fans singing along with Gal which was cool....

After the show we packed up and just decided to enjoy the rest of the day at the festival...



Gal and Carim had a few interviews to do afterwards... one of the lucky interviewers even got to keep one of the new sock puppets Gal made... lucky guy!

Gal, Gwen, Gordon & Rich left for the hotel once all the gear was packed up as they had hardly slept the previous night... I think they left for the festival around 1:30am this morning... which couldn't have been much fun...

I managed to exchange some of Gals pusspusses for some festival t-shirts... the lady on the left is Betty - our hostess I mentioned earlier....

This has to be one of my favorite festivals... it wasn't too big - like Glastonbury for instance - and there were so many different styles of music represented...

And the crew who worked there really made us feel welcome...

They had some great areas for the visitors like here... you could just lounge about and recharge the battery with some fresh mint tea and a water pipe!

Food was lovely as well even thought they could have had bigger portions.... but that's just me being greedy again :OP

The rest of the band had decided to go back to the hotel hours ago but when I went backstage they were still just sitting there doing their thang... whatever....

Up until the afternoon the weathergods had been on our side... but that was to change... it started raining as we were watching The Frames - who were brilliant - and continued to do so whilst we were watching The Raconteurs... who I also thought were great.... but considering I thought it was going to rain all day - that was pretty good going...

...and when I went backstage to hang out for a while I bumped into Finn and Jasper... I used to play with them in a band called 'Arturo' almost 10 years ago in London... now they have formed another band together called 'White Rose Movement' and are doing pretty well for themselves... what a small world!

The highlight of the whole day for me though was seeing 'Massive Attack' headline the festival... I wasn't too sure if I was going to enjoy it because I had seen them about 10 years ago playing at a festival in the middle of the day - not really the perfect atmosphere for a band like this... but I was blown away... they played most of my favorite tracks and (apart from the first few tracks) the sound was so good...

At the end of the night this lovely gentleman dropped me back off to my hotel... and now I better get some sleep because it is a VERY early start for Lowlands tomorrow!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home